Saturday, February 16, 2008

More Planeguage

I hate to keep picking on Delta--but I seem to be living on the airline these days, so I guess it's a bit like picking on family. My frequent flyer status has even started to earn me the coveted "upgrade" on occasion, especially on weekends when there are fewer business travelers. There's a bit of a trick to it, I'm learning. If you find yourself on the list of folks waiting on an upgrade, then make sure that you don't board the plane and take your economy seat until the very last minute just before the gate closes. Chances are that the other folks awaiting an upgrade will go ahead and board, and you'll get the seat with lots of legroom in the front!

Now--on to what is disturbing me about Delta! Last weekend I clambered aboard a flight to Dallas and was awarded a business class upgrade. I felt pretty good about it until I started overhearing the conversations around me and discovered that about seven Delta employees were sitting in business class. I was a bit astounded! Why would a company put its own employees in the best seats when there were lots of paying customers who were sitting in the cramped sections of economy class? I tried to imagine Walmart allowing its employees to park right in front of the store while its customers parked out in the boondocks!

It just didn't make good sense.

I decided to get a second opinion from the nice lady sitting beside me. We had become fast friends when I assisted her in placing her rather heavy carry-on in the overhead bin.

I leaned over toward her so that our conversation wouldn't be overheard.

"Is it just me?" I asked. "Or do you agree that it is a rather bad business practice for a company to move its employees to the front of the plane when paying customers are sitting in the back of the plane?"

Her eyes grew a bit wide.

"That's just a courtesy our company gives to those of us who work for Delta," she retorted.

Ooops!

Make that eight employees in the front of the plane.

And one of them didn't speak to me much at all for the rest of the flight.

2 comments:

JamesinBerlin said...

OK...NOW I understand why I haven't been upgraded in what seems like decades! Delta workers are filling the business class to the brim AND I've been too quick to board. Thanks for the tip for later boardings.
Jim

wendy said...

Just when I thought I was the only person on the planet who seems to subconsciously seek out opportunities to put her foot in her mouth...When you tell stories like this one, it makes me feel less alone in the world.

Where in the world are you today anyway?