Friday, April 11, 2008

Divine Twenty-Somethings

New York Times columnist David Brooks, a self-described progressive-conservative, addressed the Rome, Georgia intelligentsia last night at a lecture hall on a local college campus. Briefly stated, he described politicians as ego-maniacs, admitted his bias for John McCain, declared Hillary's campaign over, and indicated that he believed Barack Obama would be the next president of the United States.

Oh--and he pretty much deified twenty-somethings as the saviors of the world who might just manage to leave the globe better off than they found it.

I have to say that I agree with him.

I don't have a lot to go on, though I was glad to hear Brooks list his reasons.

My reasons are much more unscientific and are based upon absolutely no polling, no books, and no interviews with people who know.

I just find twenty-somethings to be genuinely nice people who are much more interested in relationships and in making a difference in the world than they are in getting a leg up on somebody else.

Like the young German guy who sat by me this week on a flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Atlanta. I'm sure we presented quite a comical sight, particularly as the two of us, seated in tight proximity (on an emergency exit row, thank God!) watched the movie, Enchanted. You know, the one about Giselle and Prince Charming winding up in New York City and the evil stepmother chasing them around town. We giggled at just the same moments and looked at each other as if to say, "That was a great line" or "What a cute little chimpmunk!"

It's really a sweet movie! My own wife couldn't get me to go see it--and there I was with a perfect (and male) stranger sitting closer than she and I would have sat if we'd gone to the local cinema. The flight attendant found it quite amusing and shook her head as she wandered by.

Afterward, my seatmate made his way to the back of the plane for a potty break. When he returned, he had two bags of trail mix--one for him and one for me. I hardly knew how to act! I've been traveling the world for years in close proximity to strangers--and no one ever bothered to bring me anything. I've never gotten water, peanuts, orange juice, or even those little fishy snacks they give you on Asian airlines. Nothing!

And then this twenty-something German guy hands me a bag of trail mix!

I know what you're thinking--and so I want to make it clear that I don't base my conclusions simply on this one little isolated experience. I find this younger generation to generally be about the task of making the world a better place. I know of a young woman in Ghana who has spent a considerable amount of time and energy engaged in HIV/Aids education among young girls and who spends some time in the markets doing domestic violence surveys. I've seen this generation hard at work in Chile and China, rural Alabama and rural Thailand. I've seen them digging wells and endorsing Millennium Development Goals and writing grants for Katrina recovery in New Orleans, and passing out mosquito netting in Kenya.

I like them! They know how to think about the other guy--to put themselves in other womens' shoes.

And they know how to pause just long enough in the flight galley to wonder if the guy seated next to them might be a little hungry.

So . . . maybe Brooks overstated it a bit and they aren't exactly saviors in the classic sense of the word--but I'm bending my knee a bit in their direction just in case.

7 comments:

Trey Lyon said...

you know, I'm just about to no longer be a "twentysomething", but I know what you mean. there's great potential there.

I preached jesus and the samaritan woman and it made me go back to Miroslav Volf from your global class. I used this quote and it feels like a creed for Jen and I.

"There are two injunctions which persistently surface in the Bible. One is to have no strange gods; the other is to love strangers."

exclusion and embrace--it sounds a lot like the gospel. I daresay your German companion got the "love strangers" part down.

Nograysunflowers said...

Dr. Nash! I didn't know you had a blog. Of course I would decide to comment at the same time as Trey here and I don't have anything insightful to say : ) I think he was almost an urban legend in the Religion department by the time I graduated...

wendy said...

We need people like you and that progressive-conservative-journalist dude believing in us. Like my old friend Trey over there, I'll be out of my 20s soon. But I'm proud to be in this generation...We're turning HOPES into REALITIES. It's not a time for vacant idealism. It's a time to LIVE the IDEAS.

Yay for us! Yay for you!

Rob Nash said...

Three of my favorite twenty-somethings right here on the same blog! I'm proud to call you my students and my friends! Thanks for making a difference!

JamesinBerlin said...

Rob, you made me proud of my fellow Germans! I've had the same experience--only for years! They've helped me move, get through government red-tape and have reached out to me and offered friendship with no hidden agenda. I'm glad you got the exit row (my own silent prayer before each trans-atlantic-flt) and the good German.
Jim

kelly said...

well i am officially out of my twenty-somethings (by a year and 2 months as of wednesday), but i still claim to be part of the same generation you are bragging on.

i audited a class at seminary called change agent and it was life changing. to think...if we could just be Jesus to people in our actions- digging a well, building a school, reading to a child with illiterate parents, feeding the hungry, loving the "unlovable"- if we could begin by reaching peoples' felt needs, why wouldn't things change? and man do we need a change.

it's no wonder obama is the projected winner- he's the only one promising change who has a plan. he could very well be the leader this "twentysomething" generation needs to move forward with all the ideas we have collected in our minds and hearts.

thanks for teaching us. thanks for loving us. but most of all, thanks for believing in us. looks like generation x has progressed to generation exceptional. who knew? :o)

Tim Dahl said...

I've been out of my 20s for a little over 4 years now.

My question is two fold:

1) I know they are poor students (mostly), so how do we get the $$$ to them so they can be about ministry?

and

2) Rob, when are you going to post again!

Tim ;)