Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why Religion Matters


Huston Smith wrote a great little book a few years ago that was born out of his own study and practice of the religions of the world. He called it Why Religion Matters. You ought to pick up a copy if you don't own it already. To me, it's a classic that moves us beyond the divide between religions to contemplate what it is in the human spirit that drives us toward God. At the heart of the book, I suppose, is a question with which I've wrestled for years in my own reflection and in the classrooms where I've taught--What exactly is religion?

I'm not much on classic definitions, especially for something as amorphous as "religion." But I do like to wrestle with how such a profound concept functions in the human spirit--and, after reading Huston Smith and many others and visiting numerous churches and temples and monasteries around the world, I've come to something of a conclusion. For me, "religion" is simply the way in which human beings organize reality and answer the basic questions of human existence. Why am I here? Why do I suffer? Why should I behave? Is there anybody up there? What happens to me when I die?

The effort to answer these questions and to find meaning is what drives Christians to celebrate Christmas and Muslims to prayer five times a day and Buddhists into monasteries and Taoists into nature and Jewish folks toward the Passover meal. Because we are human beings, we must make sense out of this world and its history. . . and out of the world that is coming. It's innate. It gives hope in the midst of the hopelessness that all too often surrounds us.

It also drives us into helpful conversation with each other as we seek to share the hope that we have found with fellow strugglers on the journey. I have found peace in the Christ-child whose birth, life, death and resurrection offer proof that God cares for me and loves me very much. The meaning that Jesus brings into my life provides the answers that I so desperately need to make it through each day--to love, laugh and celebrate despite it all.

I often shake my head at all the wars fought in the name of God and faith--and wonder if we can ever learn in the many places where religions meet to simply share the meaning that we have found . . . without bringing all the hatred and destruction and death along with us.

Here's hoping. Like most human beings, I seem to be an eternal optimist.

Oh . . . and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Trey Lyon said...

The other day on Religion and Ethics Newsweekly they were talking about how a group of "Christians" shouted insults at a group of Jews on a NYC subway. When the Christians began to attack the Jewish folks, a man intervened, who happened to be a Muslim student from Bangladesh. Jen and I shook our heads and muttered "Son and daughters of Abraham"--we still haven't figured it out. Which made me think about that "religion" word and reminded me of a phrase Rob taught us once upon a time--fides quorum intellectum--faith seeking understanding.

It seems like religion is humanity's attempt to give meaning, voice and substance to that innate call to faith--that we might understand, not all, but more.






"Why Religion Matters" is an incredible book. Jen and I have seriously considered naming a child Huston in honor of Huston Smith.